yo hiv if u get $3/mo vps u shud b aware of the limitation of 15GB. debian, linux swap space, nginx, php, mysql, vichan would take up to 2.5GB. and you'll probly want a comfy 2GB buffer for non-vichan stuff on your vps just in case, so round down to 10GB available for vichan.
i would follow these space saving suggestions:
1. 4MB file size and 250 replies max like i said
2. do not allow multi-file upload. bcuz it would incentivize ppl to do pointless image or video dumps, enabling this would do more harm than good. 4chan is as popular as ever and they never had multi-file upload.
3. do not allow pdf or mp3 uploads. i shouldnt have to explain why this doesnt belong on an imageboard, and how its ez to just link ppl off-site (ex. libgen.is) if they rly want to share a pdf
4. combine /r9k/ and /nice/ into one board. could call the combined board /lounge/, /comfy/, /cool/, etc. no point in having 2 boards with the same kind of threads, and the latter has threads back from several months or a year ago. having too many boards also makes things harder to moderate.
5. cut /meta/ to 5 pages. i can see everything from 6 pages and up are already from over 2 months ago.
6. cut /new/ to 8 pages, no one cares about old news from over a month ago. also start bumplocking foky's political threads in /gm/ they dont belong there
7. occasional dumps like >>>/nice/1475
are okay as long as they're on fast boards and they're not intentionally filesize-maxing. this one's like 0.5MB average at 250 replies so it only takes up to 125MB, but the problem here is this is on a slow board, u can see it's from several months ago and still only on page 4, which means such threads can quickly accumulate in one board and take up gigabytes and you'd run out of space. if the board is not fast you'd need to cut pages or remove the board altogether